Tuesday, October 28, 2008

IN the KITCHEN with IZZIE

Izzie came to cook with me last week. Who is Izzie? Izzie is my friend, she is 4 1/2 years old, the 1/2 is very important to her, and she lives across the street. Why is she my friend? Quite simply because she loves her food, will try almost anything without complaint, she enjoys cooking and will eat anything I offer her. A foodie of the future who must be nourished and encouraged!
We were going to make a refrigerated bar cake, only problem being it does take a while in the fridge to set, and patience isn't one of a 4 1/2 year olds strong points, so I decided after a little time, during which we would wash up and tidy things away, I would pull the old "and here is one I made earlier trick" except I thought it best that Izzie didn't realise this and would go home happily with the one she had made.




COCHOLATE CRUNCH BAR

100g(4oz) butter
300gr(10oz dark chocolate (bittersweet)
3 tablespoons golden syrup or corn syrup
140gr sweet crunchy biscuits (cookies)I used digestives
12 marshmallows chopped, or you can use mini ones
1/4 cup dried cranberries
100gr caramel popcorn

Melt chocolate and butter in microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring between until melted and smooth.
Stir everything else into the mixture and spread into a foil lined 10'x10" pan and spread it out.
Chill until hard.

I know the popcorn sounds strange but trust me it's delicious in this recipe. You can of course swap it for any sweet or candy bar you prefer.
We had a slight problem with the dried cranberries, Izzie was slightly hesitant at first but after trying one pronounced 'They are just red raisins, you were tricking me!" What can I say?
This is always so much fun and Izzie is always so pleased with her offerings which we package up nicely and send her home with.



As you can see we put them into a fancy dish, it is never too early to learn the importance of how to make food look good. As they say we taste first with our eyes. I now look forward to our next day together in the kitchen.

2 comments:

Coby said...

Kids in the kitchen - it's a wonderful thing:) I love your 'trick' of having one ready and waiting Jacqui:) Izzie is a lucky girl, what memories you are creating!

creativemommy said...

We are very fortunate to have Izzy experience her "cooking classes" with Jacqui! As Izzy says, "Jacqui is the best cooker!" She feels very special being invited over...and tries to bring something over to share (like a Hannah Montana candy bracelet - "because Jacqui loves pwetty jewelry.")Of course Jacqui wore it over the very next time she came to visit! Thank you, Jacqui for creating special memories for our sweet and crazy Izzy!