Monday, November 3, 2008

EASY APPETISER



Here is a really easy, but impressive appetiser, which is sure to impress your friends. I made it Sat night as part of my antipasti plate and it went down well. It is an ideal nibble to have with a glass of wine before dinner. I'm sure you will be able to adapt and think of all sorts of ways to make this your own. My biggest problem was stopping my husband from eating them all before our friends arrived!

SAVOURY PALMIERS

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1/3 cup pesto
3/4 cup drained and chopped roasted peppers
4 slices thinly sliced prosciutto
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 egg beaten with tsp water.

Heat oven to 400f/200c
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

On a lightly floured surface roll pastry into 11" square. My pastry came out the packet like this.
Spread on pesto, peppers, cheese, then top with the prosciutto. Press down.
Starting at one edge roll into the middle, then start at the other edge and roll to meet in the middle.
Cut with a serrated knife into 1/2" slices. Place on baking sheet and brush with egg mixture.
Bake for 20 mins.
Serve warm or at room temperature.

As you can see this is so simple. I am thinking of trying them with cream cheese and smoked salmon with a few capers thrown in. Spinach, sun dried tomatoes, basil and chopped artichoke hearts would all be good. Once again only your imagination could limit the possibilities. There are so many combinations that could work well here. I'd be interested to hear of your suggestions.

2 comments:

Coby said...

I just saw a tv cook here make palmiers Jacqui - and yours look much more interesting and delicious:) He made a savoury version, which contained grated cheese (I think kids would love these especially) and a sweet version with just a sprinkling of sugar. Great idea with the festive season looming thank you:)

Shari said...

I've never made sweet palmiers, and now you've made a savory one. Sounds great! I'm inspired.