Thursday, November 20, 2008

SIMPLY SAVOURY


I made these little mini muffins for supper last night. I had made a nice hearty pot of lentil and andouille sausage soup but alas the bread bin was empty, and something was needed to acommpany the soup. These were the perfect answer. Easy to do, very tasty and enough left over for lunches. My favourite kind of cooking.

2cups all purpose(plain)flour
1tbs baking powder
1tsp salt
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion (spring onion,syboe, or whatever you want to call them in your part of the world)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese(you could use a sharp Cheddar)

Sift together dry ingredients
Combine wet ingredients.
Add wet to dry and mix until dry ingredients are moist, no longer.
Stir in cheese and onions.
Bake at 375f/180c for 15-20 mins

Makes 20 mini muffins.



You could also experiment with chopped chilli, different cheeses, I thought sage or thyme muffins would be a tasty alternative. Once again you can tell that I like to play around with ingredients and not feel I have to stick to the same ingredients all the time. Once you have a basic recipe the variations are endless. Yes, sometimes you will make a mistake bit for the most part it is fun coming up with different flavours.These were so quick and easy to make I think they are about to become a regular item on our menu. Next time I will double the recipe and freeze some so I always have some to hand.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

3 comments:

The H.I. said...

The Celtic cook, I like it. Belated welcome to the land of blogging. Thanks for checking me out earlier, so to speak. Whatever about the cold where you are, the wet & wind in Scotland that'll kill ya!

Coby said...

I thought I knew all the names for spring onions, but 'syboe' is a new one - where is that from please Jacqui?

I love a savoury muffin, and it is indeed the perfect companion to soup - yum:)

thecelticcookinshanghai said...

Coby, That would be the Scottish or I also believe Irish term. In some cases it ia spelled with a "c" at the beginning. Life would be easier although less interesting if we all spoke the same "foodie language" I am learning every day.