Tuesday, February 3, 2009

MILK & COOKIES


What is more deliciously satisfying than a glass of ice cold milk and a cookie. It takes you right back to childhood when you would dip the cookie in the glass and savour the milky taste. No skimmed or semi skimmed in those days, just full cream milk. And I have to say nothing tastes better. Sure we get used to drinking milks lower in fat but there can be no doubt full cream beats them all hands down. Maybe it is time to enjoy it once again. Perhaps half a glass of "the real stuff" which I am sure will be as fulfilling as a full glass of the alternative would be an way to enjoy it once again..

I decided to take a trip down memory lane while reading NIGELLA'S EXPRESS. Here was a recipe for "Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies." It jogged a memory, one which I was willing and ready to re-live. As a child chocolate chip cookies were not on the menu but I'm sure no-one will mind me choosing them for this recipe. I am not really a cookie baker but thought I would give them a go. It didn't look too difficult.

4oz semisweet chocolate
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened sifted cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4oz softened butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, straight from the fridge
2 cups semisweet or dark chocolate chips ( I used white chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350f (180c). Melt the 4 oz chocolate.
Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
Cream butter and 2 sugars in a separate bowl. Add melted chocolate and mix.
Beat in the vanilla and egg, then mix in dry ingredients. Finally add chocolate chips.
Scoop out 1/4 cup size mounds on a line baking sheet. Use an ice cream scoop. Place about 2 1/2 inches apart.
Bake for 18-20 mins.
Leave to cool for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack.

Now all that is left to do is to find something to occupy you until they cool. Then pour a glass of ice cold milk, sit down and enjoy. They won't last long.

1 comment:

Coby said...

I would have happily shared in that feast Jacqui! I certainly still 'indulge' in full fat milk now and then too:D