Wednesday, April 22, 2009

SMOKED FISH PATE, my way.



I want to share with you one of my long time favourite pate recipes. It is one I use time and time again and it is always met with good reviews. It can be made up quickly and sits nicely in the fridge, to be picked at when a snack is required, or when friends drop in.

Mostly I find recipes for pates here always start with cream cheese, but I find this makes a pate heavy, and I much prefer lighter mousse like pate. I hope you agree that this fits the bill.

350g(12oz) smoked fish. (I like to use mackerel or trout)
1/2 cup mayo (I use mayo light)
1tsp prepared horseradish
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 egg whites

Remove skin and any bones from the fish. Break into pieces into a processor. I sometimes use my hand blender which works just as well. Process until smooth. Add the mayo, lemon and horseradish. Mix until well incorporated. At this point taste. Sometimes an extra squeeze of lemon or dash of horseradish will be needed. It is just a matter of preference.
Put into a bowl.
Whisk egg whites until stiff.
Carefully fold in about half until well mixed. Now add the rest in parts until you have the required consistency.
Put into a dish and chill until ready to serve.

I'm sure you will agree that it is a simple, quick but impressive dish to put out to friends. I serve with oatcakes,crackers or home made melba toast which is way better than shop bought.
Just toast both sides of white bread. Cut horizontally when ready and then toast the un-toasted side. Watch very carefully as they quickly turn golden and curl up at the edges.

No comments: