Friday, June 26, 2009

BEAN SALAD


During the summer months I like to try and keep the fridge stocked with salads and sides which can be pulled out at anytime. Dishes that can, with some crusty bread, become a nice lunchtime meal, or can be served alongside our BBQ'd food. Having them ready and waiting means that summer meals become easy and stress free.

One of my favourite salads, which I make time and time again is simple, but tasty and it will last for several days, is a bean salad. I vary the beans, depending on what I have in the pantry, and or, freezer. This week I made it with kidney beans as the main bean, I added sweetcorn, edamame beans and green beans. I always try and have a nice mix of colours. They say we eat first with our eyes.

Here is the basic recipe but of course you can vary the bean mixture and herbs, I am such a cilantro (coriander) lover, I would eat it in everything, but if this is not a favourite of yours then you could replace it with basil, mint or any other herb you fancy.


1 tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup sweetcorn kernels, tinned or defrosted
1/2 cup edemame beans & 1/2 cup green beans
2 spring onions finely chopped

3tbsp olive oil
juice 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper
1 cup chopped cilantro (coriander)

Mix beans together making sure the are free of water. Add spring onion.
Make dressing by mixing together the rest of the ingredients. Check now for seasoning you may want another squeeze of lemon or a pinch more salt. When you have it to your taste pour over the beans and mix through.
Now put it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.

No comments: