Monday, April 25, 2011

SALMON RILLETTES


I have been enjoying cooking over this Long Easter weekend. I have an American student with me, an 18 year old girl, so it has pushed me to brush up on some new recipes and not rely on leftovers lying around in the fridge. Sometimes it takes something out of normal routine to make you take a look at what you cook and to start thinking of new and interesting meals.

I had ordered a couple of new cookbooks, one being "THE SKINNY FRENCH KITCHEN" by Harry Eastwood. I had seen this book reviewed in numerous magazines and knew I wanted it. I then saw a review by a fellow blogger, cookbookqueen.blogspot.com and decided I must add it to my collection. So thanks Kelly-Jane.

One of the first recipes that caught my eye was for Rillettes du Saumon. It sounded delicious and I had bought some salmon with the holiday in mind. As my herbs are all alive and healthy on the deck at the moment, and with lemons in the bowl and creme fraiche in the fridge I was good to go.

I love recipes with just a few ingredients, and this was so simple, and I could have it ready fairly quickly. What was really impressive was that it had been worked on by the author to keep the calories to a minimum without losing any flavour. Always welcome as the sun shines and less clothes are required!

I had bought some new kilner type jars, small, just perfect for serving this dish in individual servings. This was the opportunity I had been looking for to use them.



Makes 10 servings.

500g salmon fillet
100g 1/2 fat creme fraiche
2 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
a small bunch chopped dill
small bunch chopped chives
grind of mixed pepper ( I used white as I had no mixed to hand)
pinch salt

Preheat oven to 200c (400f)

Roast fish on baking sheet for 8-10 mins, depending on thickness.
Combine creme fraiche, lemon juice and herbs in a bowl.
When fish is cooled flake it and fold into mixture. You don't want the pieces to be too small so fold carefully.
Taste then season with salt and pepper.

Transfer to serving dish and refrigerate until required.



The recipes serves it on toasts, but I had some crackers and this worked well. You can decorate with dill fronds for presentation.
It will be a regular summer starter for anyone visiting us over the summer. I hope they enjoy it as much as we did.

1 comment:

Mo said...

Glad to see you're still cooking up a storm and looking forward to sampling some salmon rillettes when I see you in August!