Monday, June 6, 2011

SUMMERTIME SNACKS


When summer arrives, and I'm sure it will, I love to have food in the fridge ready to eat when we want it. Often I don't want to be cooking when the sun is shining, I want to be out there enjoying it while it lasts. Anyone who knows what a British Summer can be like will agree with me on that.

I like to make up various pasta dishes, pates, usually a salmon or mackerel, or perhaps a chicken liver pate. With the help of fresh salad ingredients chutneys and breads you can have a delicious summer plate ready in minutes. Everyone getting something they like.

Quiche is often on this summer menu but last week I decide to go with a summer frittata, basically a quiche without the crust.

I had courgette, or zucchini depending which side of the Atlantic you are on, some broad beans and I guessed with the help of some frozen peas and spring onions I had the makings of a frittata.

At the last minute I added some goats cheese and I am happy to say managed to turn out a very nice "crustless quiche". No risk of soggy pastry which is always a blessing.

It would languish along side the salads and pate ready to be eaten when anyone was hungry. Happy to have nice new addition to summer snacks.

olive oil
1 courgette
handful of podded and skinned broad beans (fava)
handful of frozen peas (defrosted)
2-3 spring onions
6 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
S&P
goats cheese crumbled.

Heat oven to 180c (350F)
In a 10" (20cm) frying pan heat oil and lightly fry the courgette
whisk eggs and add chopped spring onions, salt and pepper, peas and beans
pour over the courgette in the pan
stir around as you would for an omelet
when it starts to set sprinkle over goats cheese and pop pan into pre heated oven for 15-20 mins.
when golden and puffed remove and allow to cool for a little bit.
turn out onto a plate and leave to cool completely.

Now you have something ready to eat when you want. Delicious cold and sliced, or can be eaten warm too.


So I call it a frittata, some may call it tortilla, or perhaps just an omelet but whatever you call it, make it and enjoy it.
Fillings can of course vary according to what you have to hand. But it is a good way to use up some leftovers in the vegetable drawer of the fridge.

1 comment:

Coby said...

Love the idea of a fridge filled with such treats, ready to be pulled out at a moment's notice Jacqui! It would make me smile just knowing such a delight was stashed away:)