Friday, October 3, 2008

SCONES


Today I had friends coming for coffee so I decided to make scones. British scones that is. There is quite a difference between an American and British scone. The British version is a much lighter, less sweet version of the American scone. However, my scones are not always as successful as I would like them to be and frequently resemble their American counterparts.
Today must have been my lucky day. Perhaps the moons were aligned or something of that nature because, they, I am happy to report, were a complete success. Light and fluffy and perfectly risen. With the addition of some whipped cream and home made strawberry jam they went down a treat. So from now on this is the recipe I will stick to and is as follows:

225g (8oz) self rising flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
40g (1 and 1/2oz) butter
1/4 pint milk
1 beaten egg

Heat oven to 220c (450f)
Grease a baking tray
Sift flour, salt and baking powder into bowl.
Cut butter into small cubes and rub into flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Stir in milk to form a soft dough. (You may need to add a little more than the 1/4 cup if the dough is too stiff.
On a lightly floured surface flatten dough with your hands to a 1" thickness. Handle dough as little as possible for best results.
With a 6cm (2 1/4") round cutter stamp out the scones. Re roll trimmings.
This amount will make 6 scones.
Brush top of scones with egg mixture, being sure it doesn't run down the sides as this will prohibit rising.
Bake for about 10mins, until golden on top.

TO SERVE

Serve just warm, split open and topped with cream and jam.

Delicious..........

1 comment:

Coby said...

Aussie scones (much like British scones) never use eggs. I remember an on-line friend telling me once that if you use egg in a scone batter it's called a 'whig'. Never heard of them myself, but I like the idea of scones with egg having their own identity:) Glad you found a recipe you're happy with - that's all that matters:D