Friday, January 9, 2009

FISHY DELIGHT



Fish is one of my favourite foods, although I am often confused these days about the sustainable properties of what I buy and also the mercury problems we keep hearing about. Why is it all so complicated? I try to steer clear of swordfish and mackerel because I know there are problems here with the mercury, and I always buy from a good fishmonger, one I feel I can trust. I have a good relationship with the "fish guy" Darrel in my local KOWALSKI'S store. He is always able to answer all of my questions and give tips and hints on how to prepare and cook what I buy. Also he will always order in anything I request. I always feel happy buying my fish here.

This week I really wanted to buy some Halibut but the price was pretty steep, especially for a mid week supper. Instead I opted for Cod which I knew would make a tasty alternative at only half the price. I bought my Cod and headed home to prepare supper.

The fish dish was simple. Instead of bread crumbing and frying the fish I coated it in crushed cornflakes and baked it in the oven. This results in a nice crunchy coating. I served it with some steamed asparagus and potatoes, and alongside I had my pineapple salsa (blogged a couple of days ago) and a cilantro and lime mayo. The mayo is so easy, I just use a good bought variety and to it I add a couple of tbsp of finely chopped cilantro a squeeze of lime juice and 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic.
A simple quick meal ideal for a midweek supper. Feels like I have gone to a lot of trouble but this is not the case. Perfect for me.

I had leftover, uncooked cod, which I made up into a cod fishcake for lunch the next day. I cooked up some mash, seasoned it well, steamed the fish and mixed them together with a handful of cilantro and some finely chopped capers. I make it in a
10" frying pan, spreading it out to fill the pan, I let one side brown over a med heat turn it over and pop it into the oven for 15 mins. All that was needed now was a fresh mixed salad to complete a delicious lunch time treat 2 meals for the price of one. Not bad.

2 comments:

Coby said...

I'm with you on the confusion with fish. One hand the health authorities tell us to eat more fish, other hand we're frightened away from fish by the threat of overfishing and mercury. I admit to a love of the more 'risky' fish like flake, so stick to eating it less often, and try to choose sustainable breeds (of which flake ISN'T unfortunatly). Your meal sounds delicious - could have served it up at a dinner party I recon;)

JoEve2 said...

We love fish! All kinds! Since I moved to Minnesota from Seattle I have been eating more fresh lake fish; my husband fries it. Yumm!However, your blog has renewed my interest in ocean fish and healthy cooking methods. The cod dish sounds so good and easy to make - I'm off to find some ocean fish and make my old recipes from the Pcific NW that I used to make! I'll let you know if they turn out!