Wednesday, January 7, 2009

PINEAPPLE SALSA



I love the smell and taste of a newly cut pineapple. My gastric juices begin to flow as soon as I cut into one and the wonderful perfumed aroma wafts it's way up through my nostrils. Mmmm!

This can be said for lots of fruits but there is something still quite exotic to me in a pineapple. This was never something we ate when we were children, it would always come from a can. I have no recollection of seeing a "real" pineapple until I was older. I do know however that once you taste the real thing there is no going back. They conjure up thoughts of faraway places, of sunshine and happy smiling faces so what better way to cheer myself up on a cold Minnesotan winter day than to cut into a juicy fresh pineapple. It would also fit nicely into my healthy cooking regime. Tastes good and good for you, I am onto a winner.

As I was cutting my way into the pineapple I was busy trying to think of how I could incorporate it into the evening meal. I had bought some fresh cod so I thought a pineapple salsa would sit nicely with it, and some jasmine rice. Only hoped I would leave enough to make up the salsa as I was finding it difficult not to consume it as I chopped. A few slices went missing! My healthy afternoon snack.

PINEAPPLE SALSA

2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
1 chopped fresh red chilli ( I had to use dried chilli flakes )
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Mix all together an hey presto a delicious tasty salsa.
I also use this with pork and chicken.

Another of my favourite pineapple dishes come in the form of pineapple upsidedown cake, also delicious with a stirfried rice and shrimp dish.

No comments: