Wednesday, February 18, 2009

COLD WEATHER COMFORT


Just when I was once again able to see my deck free from snow and was starting to think of warmer days ahead, the unthinkable, but not unexpected happened. Last night a few inches of snow fell and once again everything is white. Beautiful I have to say, but cold and wintry once again. Not that winter had ever checked out, but I had been fooled by a few warmer spring like days. However I cannot forget this is Minnesota and this is what winter means so no point in complaining.

So once again I turn to my kitchen and cookbooks for solace. This time it was to be found in the form of a soup. A Lamb and Barley Soup. Sounded good, seemed pretty healthy but importantly it sounded comforting, just what was needed to help get through the snowy days ahead. Also it was an easy soup to make, so it is getting better by the minute. An easy to cook comforting soup to put an end to winter blues. I was onto a winner here, at least at this point I really hoped I was.....

1Tbsp olive oil
200g (8oz) lamb neck fillet trimmed of fat and cut into small pieces
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
50g (2oz) pearl barley
600g (1lb5oz) mixed root vegetables, cubed. I used potato, parsnip,
swede and carrot as that is what I had on hand.
2tsp Worcester sauce
1 litre (1 3/4 pints)beef broth or stock
sprig of thyme
salt and pepper to taste
4oz frozen green beans

Heat oil. Season the lamb with S&P and fry for a few minutes until browned.Add onion and barley and gently cook for a minute. Add rest of vegetables and cook for 2 more minutes. Now add the Worcester sauce stock and thyme. Bring to boil, turn down to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
When everything is cooked spoon about 1/4 if the mixture into a separate bowl and blend until smooth. Stir back into the soup and add green beans, check for seasoning, and cook for a further 3 minutes before serving. SERVES 4

So there you have it a soup ready to eat in just over 30 minutes. Add some delicious crusty bread and you have a hearty warming supper dish. Just what's needed on a cold day like today.



Recipe from Good Food Magazine.

1 comment:

Coby said...

Jacqui that looks so comforting! It reminds me of my Nana who often made a lamb shank soup with pearl barley:) Gosh the memory of it is good, but I think yours seems more delicious (sorry Nana). I can't wait for winter here - no snow unfortunatly, but at least I'll have an excuse to cook this sort of delicious food:D