Friday, February 20, 2009

GRANOLA BARS



Today I thought I would try my hand at a healthy snack. When I see what's in the "healthy" bars ie: lots of various corn syrups and additives I am not sure of just how good they are for me.

I had seen a recipe in a cookbook by Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa. She is one of my favourite American TV chefs, and I was so glad to find her books when I arrived here. In the 5 years I've lived here I have managed to collect all her titles. Everything I cook from them is very successful and I turn to them time and time again.

As usual with her recipes it was simple and straight forward, the only problem I had was waiting the 3 hours to let them cool down enough to cut into bars. Okay, not the only problem, as when I brought my dates from the pantry they had been there for so long they were rock hard. What did I do? I simply replaced them with some figs I had left over from Christmas. Think the dates must have been from last Christmas! I see no harm in putting in fruits of choice. Variety is after all the spice of life.

2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup shredded coconut
Set oven to 350f (180c) Mix these together and toast for 12 mins, mixing 2-3 times for even colour.

1/2 cup wheatgerm
Add this to the toasted oat mixture.

3tbs unsalted butter
1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
Place these ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to boil over a medium heat. Cook and stir for 1 minute.

Turn oven down to 300f (155c)
Add fruit to oatmeal mixture then pour over butter mixture. Stir to blend all the ingredients.

Pour into a 8"x 12" baking dish lined with parchment. With wet hands press mixture firmly into tin.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown.
Cool for 2-3 hours before cutting into squares.



As expected these were quite delicious. Once gain Barefoot Contessa's recipe is a winner.

No comments: