Monday, February 23, 2009

FISH on FRIDAY"S


Habit makes me buy fish on Fridays. Not a bad habit I hasten to add but a habit which must have developed during my early years. Why? Because Friday was the day when a fish van would arrive in our street selling a variety of fish. Not a huge variety, but I remember, cod, haddock, smoked haddock, salmon, lemon sole and fishcakes. Perhaps there were other kinds but I have no recollection. What I do remember is the tray of bright orange breadcrumbs, or fish dressing, as it was labelled. What on earth gave it that colour? Certainly it wasn't anything which could be labelled "natural"! Does this still exist?

So Friday saw me at the fish counter of my local supermarket and my choice of fish was salmon. I wasn't sure what I would do with it but it was a few weeks since we had eaten it. Often I use it with shrimp make a tomato or basil cream sauce, and serve it with pasta. It is also delicious grilled with some lemon juice. This I decided was the way to go. Simple but delicious. My mantra.

Okay now I had to decide what to serve along side. Fish and chips. They just go together like Laurel & Hardy, salt & pepper or even gin & tonic. I'm in Friday mode so cocktails are in my thoughts. Yes, it would be chips sitting alongside the salmon. But not just any chips. I would take large baking potato cut it into wedges, pour over a little canola oil, some salt & pepper and roast in the oven at 425f (220c) for about 35mins, turning once during cooking. This produces lovely crispy "chips" without plunging them into hot oil. Must be a healthier option.



I decided to serve the salmon in a sandwich. I had bought some ciabbata rolls, and had made some guacamole the day before, so with the addition of some salad leaves this was sounding more delicious by the minute. A salmon burger & chips. Mmmm.

I heated the grill pan and cooked the salmon. I toasted the split breads in the same grill pan. Then I assembled Friday night's supper. I put the salad leaves on top of the bread, added a slice of tomato, then the salmon and finally a spoonful of guacamole. It was looking good to me and I couldn't wait to get started.

But of course first there was the photograph to be taken. This is my husbands least favourite part of my blogging. He stands at the ready, hungry after a day's work only to be told he has to wait, and wait until the photograph has been taken to my satisfaction. For the most part it is still hot when it gets to the table. Just occassionaly does it need a quick nuke in the microwave. ---SORRY FELLOW FOODIES---Well it tasted as good as I had hoped. The guacamole was great with the salmon, and most important my husband enjoyed every mouthful. A good start to what was a great weekend.

No comments: