Friday, April 10, 2009

MINCE MAGIC


Arrived back from my trip loaded down with lots of new cooking magazines filled with lots of tempting recipes for sunnier days ahead. Couldn't wait to get started on them. However, after all this time away it was taking me a few days to get back into the swing and find out exactly what was lurking in the fridge and freezer. It was looking pretty good. My husband had done a great job of keeping things well stocked.

One book, a freebie with another magazine,was called mince magic, and here were lots of new and unusual dishes using, yes, you've guessed it, mince! I couldn't decide which recipe I wanted to try out first, so my husband came to my rescue by saying he really liked the look of the "Mince & Sweet Potato Frittata" This would not have been my first choice as I couldn't quite get my head around mince and eggs together. However I decided to give it a go and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. It tasted really good.






I definitely liked the simplicity of the recipe, health wise it was pretty good and it didn't take long to put together. So in my mind this was a winner. Served with a green salad this is a good supper or lunch dish which I'm sure everyone will enjoy.

MINCE & SWEET POTATO FRITTATA

1lb(450g) minced beef
2tbs olive oil
8oz(225g) sweet potato,peeled and thinly sliced
2 medium leeks, finely sliced
1 small yellow pepper, finely diced
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2tsps chopped chives large eggs, beaten.

Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan, I used a 10" pan, over a moderate heat and fry sweet potatoes until golden brown.
Reduce heat and continue cooking until tender, turning occasionally. About 5 mins.
Remove from pan and drain on kitchen paper.
Reheat the pan until hot and cook the mince. Add the leeks and pepper and cook for 5-7 mins until brown. Add salt and cayenne then add the chives. Stir and cook for a further 5 mins.
Pour over the egg and gently mix through. Cover with sliced sweet potato, reduce heat and cook for another 5 mins until egg is set.
Transfer to a pre-heated grill (broiler) and cook until browned on top and egg is set in the middle. This only takes a few minutes.

Cut into wedges to serve.

I enjoyed making this, it is always good when a new recipe turns out well. I also thought that for this and the other recipes beef mince could be interchanged with , pork, lamb or even turkey mince. I also look forward to cooking many more from this book. Dishes like, Aromatic Masala Mince, Spiced Beef and Coriander Koftas, Tangy Beef and Lettuce Wraps are amongst a few. One which didn't really appeal was Beef and Rhubarb Tarts! Maybe I should give them a go before dismissing them. I may be missing out on something wonderful, or not. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: