Tuesday, June 22, 2010

CRAB CAKES


While flicking through a food magazine last week I was delighted to see an article on American Diner food. Having just come back from living in USA for 6 years it was good to be taken back, to remember the wonderful times we had spent there. Isn't it funny how food has the ability to take you back to times and places in your life. Might not remember what I did last week, but I can clearly remember how good that stew was I ate 15 years ago while on holiday! Strange but true.

When I saw the recipe for crabcakes I knew before the end of the week I would be tucking into them. They had been one of my favourites during my time over there. However, I do not associate them with diners, more with restaurant dining, but that wasn't going to stop me from trying out the recipe.

The next day saw me at my local fishmongers buying the crab. When I explained to him what I wanted it for, he suggested I buy crab claws, they were cheaper, and I figured I could deal with them easier than I could with whole crab. Also, the best crabcakes I ever ate had big lumps of crab throughout the cake, and I knew I could extract big pieces from the claws, or at least hoped I could! Driving home I was already thinking ahead to supper when hopefully I would be tucking into my own homemade crabcakes, and hopefully recounting a few memories.

I was surprised how easily I managed to remove the meat from the claws. After carefully checking for any shell that may have gone astray I was then ready to get started. The recipe is simple, and after an hour, which allowed them to firm up in the fridge, I was frying up my supper. Husband was out of town so this was a treat to be enjoyed alone. I was so happy with the result. They tasted so good. They will definitely be a regular in our house. I am always delighted when a recipe lives up to it's expectation. This is not always the case but in this instance it really did.

350g white crab meat (claws work well)
1 small red onion finely diced
1tsp Dijon mustard
1tsp crushed red peppers
150g fresh white breadcrumbs
125mls mayo
1 beaten egg
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1tbsp grated lemon zest
1tsp tabasco
s&p
oil for frying

Drain any liquid from crab.
Put into large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, holding back 50g of the breadcrumbs for later.
Mix together using your hands. Shape into 12 "cakes". Now dip the cakes in reserved breadcrumbs and put into fridge to firm up for 30mins.

Heat oil until moderately hot and fry cakes for 2-3 mins on each side being careful not to let them burn. Keep warm in oven while you cook them all.

Serve with a slice of lemon and green salad and enjoy.

3 comments:

Val said...

I want one now !!!!!!

Susan Lindquist said...

Hello Jacqui!

I have just happened upon your cheery blog! The crab cakes look beautiful ... thanks for the tip on using the claws ... for me, crabcakes are the perfect summertime lunch treat. We have a spice called Old Bay Seasoning that we Yanks always put in our crabcakes ... don't know if you've heard of it, but it's a nice blend of sage and pepper and God know what else ... total yumminess!

I look forward to reading much more of your blog! Keep cooking up a storm!

thecelticcookinshanghai said...

Susan I lived in USA for several years and loved old bay. Not easy to get here. Thanks for stopping by my sight love to hear from people out there.