Monday, August 23, 2010

CLASSIC SPONGE CAKE


Sometimes I think I get so carried away trying out new recipes I forget the old favourites. The ones which always work, which taste good and I can bake without even getting the recipe out.

I don't think I will ever give up on new recipes which stare temptingly at me from magazines and cookbooks, begging me to try them, but I should not put the old ones to the back of the cupboard quite so readily. It's like ignoring an old friend, but one who will be there for you when you need them.

This recipe for a Victoria Sponge Cake is a classic recipe. It requires equal amounts of flour, butter and sugar and you can even use the eggs by weight too, yes they too are equal to the other ingredients. Add some Baking Powder set your oven to 180c (350f) mix everything together put into 2 x 20cm (8") tins and bake for 25 mins. What could be easier?

Once cooled spread raspberry jam on one half, put other half on top and sprinkle with icing sugar. Hey presto a lovely cake to enjoy with a nice cup of tea.




Here are the ingredients and method. Really it is this easy.

250g (8oz) SR Flour
250g (8oz) softened butter
250g (8oz) caster suger (superfine)
4 eggs
2tsp BP

Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together until creamy.

Put into 2x20cm (8") baking tins and bake for 25 mins at 180c (350f)

DO NOT OPEN OVEN during baking time as this will cause the cake to sink in the middle. However if this happens don't worry it will still taste good.

Sandwich with raspberry jam and sprinkle top with icing sugar.

Put the kettle on and settle down and enjoy your cake and tea. if you have a friend you haven't seen for a while give her a ring and invite her to join you. You'll be happy you did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lovely sponge... and 4 eggs! I guess that's how you get it so deep... mine are always so flat... great blog x