Saturday, August 28, 2010

LEMONADE



There is nothing nicer than a nice glass of cold lemonade on a hot summer day. On saying this lemonade varies greatly and I do like to make my own with freshly squeezed lemons.

However there are times when I'm out of lemons, or want it asap, in which case I like to have a back up in the fridge ready for these very moments.

I have been amazed at how the quality and flavours vary. First of all it has to be what is called "real" lemonade. Sometimes it is referred to as cloudy or old fashioned. It has taken me some time to find one which finally has satisfied my palate. Some are just way too sweet, some too bitter and some, well, just bad.

I was delighted when a few weeks ago I came across FENTIMANS TRADITIONAL VICTORIAN LEMONADE in the supermarket. The label looked promising, but I've been fooled by that before. I took it home poured a glass and was immediately wowed by the flavour. Lovely and lemony, not too sweet, but the interesting thing was the hit of ginger. This was really pleasing to my palate and not at all expected, but if I had read the label properly I would have seen ginger quite clearly indicated.


I knew at once I had found my choice of bottled lemonade and all I needed to do now was to find the best way of adding the ginger to my own recipe. Still working on it and will post if I manage to get a good result. Hopefully it won't be too long before I manage it but I will be keeping a couple of bottles of FENTIMANS in the fridge as a standby.

1 comment:

Coby said...

I've not had the luck you have! Still searching for a quality bought product. It's not a cordial then either? It's ready to drink? I love the idea of a hint of ginger - good luck in your experiments Jacqui, I hope you let us know how you go:D