Wednesday, September 8, 2010

CORNBREAD


One of the things I grew to love while living in US was cornbread. There is some differing opinions on whether it is indeed bread, or is it cake! I give that it is sweet, but with chilli and cheese added, it is to me, the perfect bread to serve alongside a BBQ, with soup or stews. I guess it can be compared to savoury muffins, but still sweet. Sounds weird but it does work. Well for me anyway. Hope you'll agree.

I have tried several recipes but this is the one I prefer. Its easy to make, always a good thing in my book, its fast and ready to eat straight from the oven. Nothing better.

Americans do tend to butter it and some even put maple syrup on it but for me it is sweet enough as it is.

This recipe is for cornbread with jalepenos and cheese but of course you could vary the added ingredients to suit your tastes.

3 cups SR Flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (polenta)
1/4 cup sugar
2Tbsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Salt
---------------
2 cups Milk
3 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 lb unsalted butter, melted, plus more to grease pan
---------------
8oz (250g) grated cheddar, divided
1/3 cup chopped spring onions
3 Tbsp finely chopped jalepenos




Now the easy part. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix together wet ingredients then add to dry ingredients and mix until dry ingredients are dissolved. Do not over mix, mixture should be a little lumpy.
Now add 2 cups of the cheese and the onions. Mix through. Leave for 20mins.

Pre- heat oven to 180c (350f) and grease a 9"x13"x2" baking pan.
Pour mixture into pan and sprinkle over remaining cheese.
Bake for 30-35 mins.

As you can see it is a simple recipe, just have all ingredients laid out before you start and you will have no problem.

No comments: