Wednesday, February 1, 2012

SCOTTISH TAPAS


Had the good fortune to be in Glasgow this weekend, and a meal @ Guy's, one of our favourites in the merchant City, did not disappoint.

One of the items on the menu is a "Trio of Scottish Tapas". I was very intrigued the first time I saw it. Not too sure about it. But when I saw it arrive to the table I knew next time I must try it for myself.

On the plate sat a mini steak pie, a mini tatties and mince and of course the Scottish of all dishes, haggis with neeps and drizzle of white sauce. So there is the trio. But nestling on the plate, making it to my mind a quartet, is a little bowl of chips. Well it wouldn't be Scottish without them now, would it?

The meat in the pie was delicious and moist, and topped with a lovely crisp pastry. Tasty mince and a nice mouthful of McSween haggis made for a filling and delicious meal. Although I thought the chips were extra to requirements, I couldn't resist trying just one, then another, and before I knew it they were gone. No big surprise there!

I always look forward to trips to Glasgow as there are so many wonderful restaurants. But this one, at this point in time, will always be on my to do list. Apart from the food, the staff are wonderful, the place buzzes with atmosphere and it has a very warm welcome awaiting anyone who passes through the doors.

So if you are in the area, look in on it, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Coby said...

Seeing chips when they are unexpected is always a happy surprise surely?;) I've never had the pleasure of trying haggis, but this looks the perfect way to taste test:)