Friday, September 16, 2011

COCONUT,BLUEBERRY and LIME CAKES


Friday at last! I love the weekend, a time to be with my husband and to relax, to do whatever we want. I don't want to be tied to the kitchen all weekend so I like to try and prepare a few things to leave in the fridge, ready to be eaten when we feel like it.
It has to be food which won't spoil after a few days in the fridge, so pates, soups, quiche and casseroles are all favourites. I also like to put something tasty into the cookie jar or cake plate.

Today I put together a soup. Minestrone. I made it from the bits and pieces in the fridge which needed using up before I put fresh stuff in. So courgette, carrot, potato, leek and cabbage were all used up. Added a tin of haricot beans and a handful of orzo and some frozen peas, that was all it took to produce a nice pot of soup. I know I am not blogging the soup recipe but thought you might like to see it bubbling in the pot. Wish you could smell it!


For a sweet treat I made some delicious little cakes. Couldn't find the tin I wanted so used a muffin pan. Meant I got fewer, but bigger cakes. Good or bad, you decide.

115g softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
2tsp finely grated lime zest
2 large eggs
5 tbsp double cream (Heavy cream) I had none so used creme fraiche.
1 cup plain flour (all purpose)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 180c (350f)
Butter and flour 9 muffin cups

Beat sugar, lime zest and butter until fluffy, then add eggs one at a time until well combined. Beat in the cream. Slowly mix in flour and salt.
Stir in 1/2 cup coconut and blueberries. Mix well together.
Spoon into muffin cups. I use an ice cream scoop.
Sprinkle tops with remaining coconut and bake for 20-25 mins or until edges are golden.
Turn out onto a rack and cool.

I couldn't resist sampling while they were still warm. I loved the lime and blueberry together, although I was struggling to taste the coconut, perhaps the lime was a bit too intense. But I liked the favour and will cook these again. Not sure how long they will last but something sweet and delicious for the weekend, check.

Now I just have the weekend to look forward to. There will of course be some cooking but i know I won't be spending all my time preparing meals.



Have a great weekend everyone. Happy cooking.

No comments: