Wednesday, April 18, 2012

FAST PEACH CHUTNEY


It is peach season here in Shanghai and the markets are piled high with them. Although it has just begun already they are deliciously sweet and juicy. Eating them is a messy business as the juice tends to run right up your arm. Also the smell from them is so good, you can just tell a delicious juicy experience is lying just below that soft suede like skin.

I got a bit carried away buying them, and soon found I had more than I could eat. As I am trying to stay away from puddings at the moment peach crumble was off the menu. So I wondered what else I could make. We were having chicken salad for dinner so something to go along with it. Sometimes I just slice peaches on to the plate, but today I decided to make a peach chutney. Not a familiar sight on the supermarket shelves of Shanghai!

I found a recipe in Bill Granger's Asian cookbook, and knew this was what I wanted to make. Also I know everything I have cooked from his books has been successful simple and delicious. I would recommend any of his books.

As I have a limited kitchen at the moment I cooked it in a frying pan, I have one wok, one frying pan and a pot. A wooden spoon and spatula are my only stirring implements, so I can say for sure you don't need anything fancy to cook this dish.

2 Tbsp light flavoured oil
1/2 red onion. diced
2tsp mild curry powder
600g peaches, skinned,stoned and chopped
1 tsp finely chopped ginger, julienned
1 tsp soft brown sugar
1 Tbsp lime juice.

Heat oil in pan over a medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 mins until it starts to soften. Add curry powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add peaches, ginger, sugar and lime juice and stir until sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 5 mins or until peaches have softened. Leave to cool.

As I said easy and fast but more importantly delicious.
Once again my serving dishes are somewhat limited, my shipment should arrive in 3-4 weeks, so when looking for something to out chutney in to photograph it the best I could come up with was an egg cup lol.

No comments: