Thursday, January 15, 2009

BEST EVER BANANA BREAD


What better place to be on a frigid Minnesota day than in a warm cozy kitchen surrounded by my cook books with all the time in the world to ponder them. With the temperature, with wind chill, down to -40, which just happens to be where Celsius and Fahrenheit equalise, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be, apart maybe from under my duvet!

Surprisingly, but the view from inside belies what lies beyond. The sky is blue, the sun is shining and everything is looking like a picture postcard. So with the heating racked up and the fire on I sit down to decide what to cook. I noticed earlier that I had some bananas in the bowl which wouldn't make it to the end of the week. Decision is made for me. Banana Bread it is.

My favourite recipe is on a scrap of paper torn from a newspaper some years ago. One day I will put it on the computer, or at least in print it out and file it properly, but for now I retrieve it from a recipe file where it lives for the time being.

I switch on the oven, bring all the ingredients out of the pantry and anticipate my afternoon coffee complete with the fresh baked loaf. Soon the kitchen is filled with the delicious smell of baking and of course is now even cosier due to the heat from the oven. I wonder how long I can resist cutting that first slice

3 large well ripened bananas
1 egg or 2 egg whites
2 tbsp canola oil
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 cups flour, preferably half wholewheat and half all purpose white.

Preheat oven to 350f (180c)
Lightly oil a 4x8" loaf tin.

Mash bananas. Add egg,oil,sugar,salt,baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
Beat well.
Gently blend in flour until just moistened.
Bake for 45mins.Cool for 5 mins before removing from tin.

Today I decided to use up the walnuts left over from Christmas. I shelled and skinned them and stirred a handful into the mixture. An added health benefit. You could also mix in some chocolate chips, no health benefit, but tastes delicious.

I didn't resist too long. My late afternoon coffee was brought forward by several hours. Okay,so I enjoyed a late morning coffee today! No problem. It tasted so good.

1 comment:

Coby said...

Chocolate is good for the soul if nothing else Jacqui! Great recipe, love that the whole egg and egg white is interchangeable! Also, thanks for the info on the temps equalising at -40 - I love that sort of info, I retain it better than my family's birthdates!