Saturday, January 8, 2011

OATCAKES


When out shopping today I just couldn't pass up offer on smoked trout in M&S. I would make some pate, and to go with it I decided I would make some oatcakes, a healthy snack, which I'm sure everyone is looking for this time of year.

I had never made them before but had always intended to. This was the perfect time. A lazy Saturday afternoon, hubby watching football on TV, raining outside, so I headed into the kitchen to begin. I decided I would get the oatcakes in the oven before I made the pate.

Ingredients were simple and few, so in no time I was rolling and cutting and popping them into the oven for 12-15 mins. They were out cooling before I knew it. I wondered why I had never made them before.

As they cooled down I couldn't wait to try them. They were deliciously crumbly, not as dry as the commercially bought ones. They would work well with my pate, as they would with a nice piece of cheddar, or indeed with some good butter. Seems I'd waited too long to make these and will be doing again whenever an oatcake is needed.

50g (2oz) plain flour
150g (5oz) medium oatmeal
2tsps coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt, plus extra of both to sprinkle on top
125g (4 1/2oz) cold unsalted butter, diced
milk to glaze.

Heat oven to 200c (400f)
Put all ingredients except milk into food processor and mix until it starts to bind. Add 3tbsp cold water and mix again until it all comes together.
Roll out thinly on a floured surface. Using a 7cm (2 1/4") pastry cutter cut out biscuits. You should get about 18. Re- roll extra pastry and cut out more rounds.
Place on baking tray and brush tops with milk. Sprinkle with the extra salt and ground pepper.
Bake for 12-15 mins. Remove and put on drying rack.

As you can see no big deal with these. Easy and quick and as an added bonus delicious. Think I'll take some pate and oatcakes to my neighbour who has just come home from hospital.


1 comment:

Brownieville Girl said...

Oh they look lovely and tasty - looking forward to giving these a go!