Tuesday, March 8, 2011

PANCAKE DAY



Not sure I need an excuse to cook up a batch of pancakes, but it's nice to think you are sharing something with a lot of people across the world.

I know on Shrove Tuesday, here, we traditionally make pancakes, but in Eastern Europe it's doughnuts, and the same down in New Orleans, only there they are known as beignets, and delicious they are too drenched in icing sugar.

Today I have made a batch of thin pancakes to be eaten simply with a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of sugar. I also made some which I will fill with a fish mixture, pour over a sauce and serve with asparagus for supper. And what would pancake day be without some Scotch Pancakes? For those of you unfamiliar with this kind of pancake it is a thicker pancake, suited to serving with maple syrup and bacon, or with fruit or jam. I love blueberries sprinkled over then a trickle of maple syrup.



On what other day could you eat pancakes three times a day without feeling guilty?

The recipe..................
This is one when I don't bring out the scales, measure or weigh. I have been making pancakes since I was a little girl. I used to stand beside my Gran as she made up batch after batch of pancakes and I guess somewhere along the line I have got to recognise the consistency needed to produce my pancakes.

As a rough guide I would use 2 cups of plain flour, 1 cup of milk and an egg. A thicker batter is required for my Scotch Pancakes so I just add extra milk until I get a thick cream like mixture, and for thinner crepe style pancakes just add some more milk. It works every time.



So have fun making and eating your pancakes as today they have no calories or guilt attached, lol.
HAPPY PANCAKE DAY

No comments: