Sunday, April 8, 2012

THECELTICCOOK in SHANGHAI

Well have arrived safe and well here in Shanghai.
Arrived to hot and sunny days, and one of the first things I noticed was the smells and aromas of a new country. With so many restaurants around you are never far away from food smell
In the markets where live produce is in evidence,0there are other smells which are alien to me. Not unpleasant smells, and I'm sure within a few months, or even weeks, I will not be noticing them.
I have enjoyed shopping at my local market, although so far have not ventured into buying the live products on show.I am told they are fresh and safe to buy, and I'm sure one day I'll be walking back to the apartment having been brave enough to purchase the fish and prawns from the tanks. The frogs and turtles, well I don't really think so. Sometimes not sure if I'm in food store or pet store lol.How different is it from buying the live lobsters I buy at home? No different really I guess. Everything will be dealt with in the market it's not as of I'll be carrying live fish home in my basket.........
The young man on the vegetable stall seems to have taken a liking to me, and happy to report I am eating lots of free samples, and also leaving each time with a free bag of goodies! Yesterday it was garlic, ginger, chillies and coriander. Not bad, the makings of a nice Thai meal.
So I think I'm going to enjoy the challenges of living here. I look forward to keeping you up on all my adventures.
I am planning on blogging not just food stories, but taking the blog a little further by reporting on all aspects, travel, experiences etc. I hope you will join me on this journey.
Today's photo is evidence of live produce in the supermarket, not the local market. Yes it really is frogs!

No comments: